Rock Radio Northern Ireland
INTERVIEW: Buy merch or die...Waylander chat ahead of Hammerfest VII appearance
And, as they prepare for their appearance at Hammerfest VII in a couple of short weeks we caught up with
ALBUM REVIEW: Black Star Riders beginning to establish their own identity on The Killer Instinct
THE Black Star Riders are to many an enigma. Emerging from the ashes of Thin Lizzy's dying embers, their last album 'All Hell Breaks Loose' there was a definite whiff of compromise between the Lizzy template and Ricky Warwick's powerful influence.
Certainly some hardcore Lizzy devotees (including our contributor Baal)
NEWS: Norn Iron's Terminus take on Europe...Europe doesn't stand a chance
BACK in the dim and distant past 'eavy metaaal was not a complicated patchwork of genres and sub-genres. It was simply 'eavy fuggin' metal, played loud and proud.
Harkening back to those days are Northern Ireland's Terminus, who are preparing for a European assault.
This five piece takes
ALBUM REVIEW: FM lay bare the Art of AOR on Heroes and Villains
REGARDED by many as the UK's answer to Bon Jovi in the eighties, FM will release their fourth studio album since their return from hiatus in 2008, 'Heroes and Villains', on April 17th, but are they still relevant and interesting?
ALBUM REVIEW: Smash Into Pieces have modern radio-friendly rock on Apocalypse DJ
WHEN it comes to a wealth of diverse music, the Scandinavian countries have the lion's share, and the latest evidence comes for Smash into Pieces as they let rip with radio-friendly rock on their second album 'Apocalypse DJ'.
Follwing on from their 2013 debut album 'Unbreakable' and consists of eleven tracks
NI ROCKS Recommends "We Are The Brave" by SKARLETT RIOT
Skarlett Riot may be a band that will find its biggest following among the younger generation of rock fans, but their new EP “We Are The Brave” has made a fan out of a (young at heart) rocker in his mid 40s! The band formed back in 2010 and already have a successful debut album and impressive list of live appearances under their belt. I must admit though that I didn’t know much about them until this new EP arrived via Factory Music. “We Are The Brave” was released on 16th February.
NI ROCKS Recommends Debut EP by BIGFOOT
Bigfoot is a band featuring five guys from the Wigan area of North West England. They’ve recently released a four track EP centred around the single “The Other Side of Paradise”. We’d been sent the EP by the band’s PR team and I played the single on the Friday NI Rocks Show last week. Definitely a release worth investigating!
NI ROCKS Interview with NIGEL BAILEY (THREE LIONS & BAILEY)
Nigel Bailey is the lead singer of the bands Bailey and Three Lions, both of which released debut albums through Frontiers Records during 2014. In Three Lions, Nigel teams up with former Dare / Ten members Vinny Burns and Greg Morgan. They released the album “Three Lions” in April ( http://www.rockradioni.co.uk/back-stage/music-reviews/1521-ni-rocks-recommends-qthree-lionsq-by-three-lions.html ). The Bailey project is something that Nigel has been working on for a few years. The band’s debut album “Long Way Down” was released in December. ( http://www.rockradioni.co.uk/back-stage/music-reviews/1753-ni-rocks-recommends-qlong-way-downq-by-bailey.html ).
I spoke to Nigel about both bands on 17th February and this interview was broadcast on the Friday NI Rocks Show on the 20th February at 9pm. That show is available now via the On Demand Player - http://www.rockradioni.co.uk/hosts/ni-rocks-friday-rock-show.html
The interview has been transcribed and is posted below.
Last Updated (Tuesday, 24 February 2015 01:47)
INTERVIEW: Jake Rogers of Visigoth tells us about the influences of the band and the background of The Revenant King
SALT Lake City's metal overlords Visigoth have just released their latest platter of metal with 'The Revenant King' hitting hard and joyfully on to decks of 'true metal' fans; full of swagger and style.
INTERVIEW: No Hot Ashes' Eamon talks Ramblin' Man Fair and album release
WHEN No Hot Ashes got back together for a one-off in Belfast about 18 months ago there was a palpable sense of excitement to hear the melodies and rock from the 80s glory days - a sense that those who remembered those heady days could re-connect again with the vitality of that era.
Since then NHA have emerged stronger
ALBUM REVIEW: Raising a Little Hell with The Answer
FOR some time The Answer have been bubbling under the mainstream media's radar - loved by many, adored by many more they have attracted a cult status many a hard rock act envies;and they have always provided full-on hard rockin' blues both live and on recorded offerings.
We checked our iTunes account when
- NEWS: Ramblin Man Fair sees No Hot Ashes join Dream Theatre, Scorpions and Saxon - plus many more
- ALBUM REVIEW: Finnish folksters Ensiferum flay on One Man Army
- NEWS: Reinventing Scops, when free album isn't free, Satyr on the opera, and Coal Chamber album
- NEWS: Reinventing Scorps, when free album isn't free, Satyr on the opera, and Coal Chamber album
- LIVE REVIEW: Hydrocarbon powered rock as Murray, St Hellfire, Baleful Creed Gasoline Outlaws rock the King's Head
- NI ROCKS Recommends "Transposed Emotions" by SECRET RULE
- INTERVIEW: Sahg frontman Olav Iversen talks about festivals, Delusions of Grandeur and a little white lie he told in Belfast
- COMIN' ATCHA: Remember last year? Remember the Quireboys acoustic Diamond show? It's coming back
- NEWS: Brent gets ejected; Smashed to Pieces tour
- NEWS: Brent gets ejected; Monster Truck and Korpiklaani album artwork
- ALBUM REVIEW: German folk/pagan metal from Finsterforst explores the dark forest mythos
- LIVE REVIEW: Sick Of It All bring NY hardcore to Belfast backed by By Any Means and Murdock
- ALBUM REVIEW: Potty mouth punk thrash from Gehannah on Metal Police
- Belfast Metalheads reunited - c993834dd5b1c4fa1c6c8405b2ec889b
- LIVE REVIEW: Noise attacks in the Voodoo from Zlatanera, Slomatics and The Hornets
- NI ROCKS Recommends "Heavy Train" by BLACK WHISKEY
- NEWS: And So I Watch You From Afar announce a Belfast date and unleash a single from new album
- Comin' soon -the Ensiferum new release One Man Army; new song out there now
- INTERVIEW: Rabid Bitch of The North on 2014 and future - exciting - plans. Oh, and drinking Bucky with Portrait
- COMPETITION WINNER: Placebo