Rock Radio Northern Ireland
NI ROCKS Recommends "Phantom 5" by PHANTOM 5
The Bonfire album “Point Blank” was probably one of my favourite albums of the late 80’s / early 90’s and a copy of it, on a TDK D90, was a constant feature in my cars until I got my first cd-player equipped car about 10 years ago! So reading that former Bonfire vocalist Claus Lessman is part of Phantom 5 and that their debut self-titled album is reminiscent of “Point Blank”; this was one that I was keen to check out. The album “Phantom 5” was released by Frontiers Music on 13th May. The track “All The Way” was included on the Friday NI Rocks Show on 27th May.
NI ROCKS Recommends "Fallen Angel" by PUNKY MEADOWS
There were two things that drew me to the new album from Punky Meadows when I saw the press release from Escape Music – well the involvement of two people really. Firstly, of course, there was the former Angel guitarist himself. Adding to that, the fact that the vocals were provided by Chandler Mogel, made this an album that I was definitely going to check out! One listen to the album was all it took to realise that I wouldn’t be disappointed. The album “Fallen Angel” was released by Escape Music on 20th May.
NEWS: Demons of Old Metal release video for Raising the Horde
SUMMER 2016 promises to be a defining period for everybody's favourite denizens of hell, Demons of Old Metal. Following a storming performance at the Mosh Against Cancer festival in Coventry this April, D.O.O.M. are now gearing up for four summer festivals starting with Wildfire in Scotland on June 24th. This will be followed by
NEWS: By Any Means to support Raging Speedhorn on summer tour, with added Stoneghost
BY Any Means are confirmed as support for Raging Speedhornfor their June tour in support of their new album 'Lost Ritual'.
LIVE REVIEW: The curious incident of the Vegan Festival and its reprise...
SOME weeks back at a Vegan Festival in Belfast's Ulster Hall four rock bands were scheduled to play on stage - but given that loud rock, punk and metal is, loud the vegans didn't take too kindly to the volume emanating from the stage.
Thus, Eighty Fourwere asked to leave the stage, and Tusks, Skypilot and Zlatanera were not allowed to entertain the gathered vegetarians, vegans and samplers of craft beers. Their loss...<br
LIVE REVIEW: Majestic Magnum roll back the years in a live tour de force
IT may have been 1978 when Magnum released their first album, but in 2016 they have proved that they can still record epic albums and perform live with majestic magnificence; with power and presence as they proved in Belfast's Limelight1 on Friday, 27th May.
Of course, it helps to have the songs that are known and familiar songs that the audience can recall line by line..
NI ROCKS Interview with Nick & Marcus from VEGA
Vega released their fourth album “We We Are” on 13th May just a couple of days after starting a three week tour with rock icons Magnum. The tour included a gig in The Limelight in Belfast on 27th May. I’d posted an interview with lead singer Nick Workman in October 2014, following the release of their previous album. I arranged to meet the guys before they went on stage in Belfast to record a short interview and catch up on what has been happening since. I spoke to Nick and guitarist Marcus Thurston.
Last Updated (Sunday, 29 May 2016 21:52)
INTERVIEW: Cursed Sun reveal plans for 2016
ON a grey May day Cursed Sun were atop Belfast's Europa Hotel for a photo shoot. We grabbed 'em for discussions about what their plans are for 2016 and their forthcoming e,p.
Here's what they said:
Interview by Jonny
Filming by Darren
NI ROCKS Recommends "Beyond The Fade" by TED POLEY
Ted Poley is of course best known as the frontman for Danger Danger, but just after re-joining the band in 2004 he released a couple of solo albums. Almost a decade later he has just released his third solo album. Entitled “Beyond The Fade”, it was released by Frontiers Music on 13th May. Poley has worked with multi-talented and rather industrious producer / songwriter / musician Alessandro Del Vecchio and song-writing brothers Tom and James Martin from Vega to deliver a very strong album that should appeal to many people. I played the track “Higher” on the NI Rocks A-Z Show on 3rd May.
Last Updated (Thursday, 26 May 2016 18:53)
NI ROCKS Recommends "Ready II Strike" by SUNSTRIKE
I had posted a recommendation for SunStrike’s debut album “Rock Your World” back in April 2014, so was looking forward to hearing their new album “Ready II Strike” when it arrived via GerMusica. The album was released on 20th May on the AOR Heaven label and I’ve already played a couple of tracks on Rock Radio NI – “A Piece of the Action” on the NI Rocks A-Z Show on 3rd May and “Angel In My Room” on the Friday NI Rocks Show on 20th May.
- A DAY TO REMEMBER TO PLAY THE KERRANG! AWARDS 2016
- CAIRO SON RELEASE NEW SINGLE AND VIDEO
- NI ROCKS Recommends "Second Sun" by BUFFALO SUMMER
- BLOODSTOCK - fights and strength in the field of metal...
- VIDEOS - Cheer yourself up with these offerings from Gojira and Cattle Decapitation
- COMIN' ATCHA: Legendary doomsters Pentagram set for Belfast
- ALBUM REVIEW: Massive Wagons welcome us to their world on latest album
- LIVE REVIEW: The riff comes down hard in Limelight as Triggerman bring it accompanied by Bosco Ramos and Hornets
- LIVE REVIEW: Blind Guardian and Gloryhammer bring the power to Dublin
- NOT A REVIEW, AN OVERVIEW.... Hard Rock Hell - Ibiza Road Trip 7, carnage, chaos, fun and traffic jams
- GIG NEWS - DELAIN, EVERGREY AND KOBRA & THE LOTUS in Dublin
- NI ROCKS Recommends "Edge of Tomorrow" by SUNSTORM
- NI ROCKS Recommends "Who We Are" by VEGA
- NI ROCKS Recommends "Night Brings Insanity" by PRIMITAI
- NI ROCKS Interview with BOB CATLEY from MAGNUM
- Hawkwind, Wishbone Ash, John Lees’ Barclay James Harvest and Pendragon head up HRH Prog 5
- THE TEMPERANCE MOVEMENT RELEASE REVOLUTIONARY ‘WHITE BEAR’ MUSIC VIDEO
- DORO | ‘RAISE YOUR FIST IN THE AIR’ LIVE CLIP REVEALED
- SKINDRED’S SECRETS OF SURVIVAL
- NI ROCKS Recommends "Higher Time" by ELECTRIC CITIZEN